It's only a phase

A blog for all those passions in your life - whether you stick with them or not.

Friday, July 22, 2005

Call Center Trauma

A recent call to British Telecommunications customer service ..

ring ring....ring ring..
Machine: Please press 1 for enquiries about..blah blah blah.. press 2 if you are moving house
Me : (presses 2) ring ring....ring ring etc.
Service Rep.1 : (overly enthusiastic & friendly) Hello how can I help you?
Me : I'm moving house so I'd like to terminate my phone line and account.
Service Rep.1: Ok, do you have your account number?
Me : reels off lengthy account number
Service Rep.1: Can you confirm your name & address?
Me : yes, blah blah blah.
Service Rep.1: And what date are you moving house?
Me : The 10th August.
Service Rep.1: OK I'll just transfer you to someone that can help you do that. Please hold.
ring ring....ring ring...
Me : (why have I just spoken to you then?)
Service Rep.1: All our people are busy at the moment but they will answer shortly, please hold.
ring ring...ring ring etc.

Service Rep.2: Hello, how can I help you?
Me : Well I've just been transferred here
Service Rep.2: Ok, what can I do for you?
Me: Well I'm moving house so I'd like to terminate my phone line and account.
Service Rep.2: And what date are you moving house?
Me : (sigh) The 10th August
Service Rep.2: Can you give me your address and postcode?
Me : Yes, blah blah blah.
Service Rep.2: Ok can you hold for a second?
Me : (why?) (calming music)
Service Rep.2: Do you have your account number?
Me : oh, for f.. reels off lengthy account number
Service Rep.2: ok can you hold for a second?
Me : mmmm. (calming music)
Service Rep.2: ok so you want to terminate your account on the 10th August?
Me : Yeees.
Service Rep.2: ok can you hold for a second?
Me : (calming music)
Service Rep.2: ok, that's done for you. Just to recap what I've done for you your phone line will be stopped on 10th August and a final bill sent.
Me : Where will the final bill be sent ?
Service Rep.2: To your current address.
Me : But I'm moving house!!!!!
Service Rep.2: oh.
Me : Why can't you forward it to my next address?
Service Rep.2: I can't do that, that's billings - I'll just transfer you now...


At this point I lost it a bit & basically told them to leave it how it is & I'll sort it out somehow when they send it to my old house!

Do these people ever trace a call through to see how stupid the system is!? I pressed '2' at the very start - you know I'm bloody well moving house! Do they have a first line of muppets just to try and get you in a good mood before they transfer you to someone that actually has the authority to do anything at all!?

Phew, I feel better now though.

Tag:

3 Comments:

  • i've often wondered how communiactions companies (including telewest and ntl, as well as bt) can survive when they are so bad at actually communicating!

    do you really think that your line will be cancelled on the 10th august? ;)

    congrats on the house move by the way!!

    By Blogger MaFt, at Monday, July 25, 2005  

  • Thanks! I forgot how much of a headache it all was - but I am obliged to say it is all worth it because I will be moving in with my girlfriend for the first time! :P

    By Blogger Nik, at Monday, July 25, 2005  

  • It’s very much painfully to not get the service when necessary. So it’s always to plan all works and start every thing taking bit more time. That’s can reduce pain & hassle.
    Robert
    Inbound Call Center

    By Blogger Unknown, at Saturday, September 15, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home