It's only a phase

A blog for all those passions in your life - whether you stick with them or not.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Gigs and Tuning

My band has a gig tonight - though it's a private one so we won't know anyone there - sometimes this is a good thing, new ears and all that, but sometimes can make for a boring post-gig experience.

We've been asked to play Shepherds Bush Empire on May 6th as part of a charity doo. This is a huge venue by our normal standards so will be very scary! It's kind of encouraged me to get into my drumming a bit more and I've been doing some rudimentary practice again, I may even get some lessons again at some point. It also spurred me into searching out some good new heads for the bands drum kit - so I'm hoping they should improve the sound of the kit lots.

Tuning of a drum seems very hard to me. Now don't laugh, I know you're thinking how hard can it be? I've done lots of research into the best way to tune a drum up and followed every instruction but sometimes it seems I just end up going round in circles trying to match the pitch around the drum. I swear sometimes my ears even play tricks on me, and if I concentrate hard enough you can get a sound to appear lower or higher in pitch than another just by imagining it is! I hope it's not just me that fins this so hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home